Sea Mar has different application processes for general volunteers and interns/externs.
These respective processes can be found on our Volunteer Application Process and Intern/Extern Application Process pages.
Many of the same forms and items are required for both general and intern/extern applicants; however, the application processes differ slightly.
Please review the correct application process for the type of position that you are interested in for more information on how to apply!
Here are the steps in the application process for becoming a Sea Mar volunteer!
Check out available opportunities on our website and our Volunteer Match account to find a volunteer position that matches up with your interests and skills.
1. Check with your school to make sure there is an affiliation agreement with Sea Mar on file.
Sea Mar cannot accept students for internships or externships without an active affiliation agreement on file.
If your school does not have an affiliation agreement you will need to reach out to them about setting one up before applying.
If there is an affiliation agreement on file, you may proceed to the next step.
2. Reach out to the Clinic Manager at the Sea Mar clinic you are interested in completing your internship or externship with to speak about available opportunities.
You must receive approval from the Clinic Manager to intern/extern at their site before proceeding to the online application.
You must be able to provide clinic location, supervisor name, and end dates on your application
3. Complete our online volunteer application. Once completed, you will receive an automatic confirmation email with further instructions.
If a position is not listed, please make a note on your application with the position and Sea Mar location that you are interested in.
4. Continue sending in additional requirements!
Your application will not be considered complete until the Volunteer Department has received the following items
(refer to the Volunteer Application Checklist for copies of these forms):
- TB test results - recent within 6 months
- Hepatitis B consent/declination form
- Sea Mar Background Check Request form
- JPG Headshot Photo (for your Sea Mar badge!)
You can return these items to the Volunteer Department via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
or fax 206.764.8061
5. Wait while the Volunteer Coordinator finalizes your placement and gets you in contact with your site supervisor.
If you have been accepted to a volunteer position with Sea Mar, you will receive official clearance emails from the Volunteer Coordinator containing contact information for your supervisor.
Until that time, you have not been officially cleared to volunteer with us.
6. After being officially cleared, attend an orientation with your site supervisor to familiarize yourself with Sea Mar's policies, your site, and your position.
7. Begin internship/externship!
Please note that this process can take up to several weeks, and that application does not guarantee placement in a volunteer position at Sea Mar.
For more information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator:
9635 Des Moines Memorial Dr. STE C
Seattle, WA 98108
P: 206.658.2181 ext: 54024
Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Sea Mar!